Road taxes, vehicles, vehicle drivers, travel documents

Make sure that you carry the correct travel documents with you when you enter Switzerland and pay the necessary road taxes. You should also observe the vehicle regulations and your obligations as a driver.


Travel documents

To enter Switzerland, you must be in possession of a valid travel document that is recognised by Switzerland (passport, identity card). Foreign citizens also need a visa in certain cases.

The same regulations apply to your entry as to private persons. Further information can therefore be found at the following link: passport, identity card, visa

Road taxes

Road taxes are incurred when goods are transported in Switzerland:

  • The use of Swiss motorways with motor vehicles and trailers up to 3.5 tonnes is subject to payment of the motorway tax (vignette).
  • The mileage-related heavy vehicle charge HVF depends on the total weight, emissions level, and kilometres driven in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
    It applies to motor vehicles and their trailers that have a total permissible laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes and are used to transport goods.
  • The lump-sum heavy vehicle charge (PSVA) is levied on vehicles used for transporting passengers, motor carriages, tractors, motor vehicles for fun fairs and circuses, as well as motor vehicles for the carriage of goods with a maximum speed of 45 km/h.


You may only use uncleared vehicles in Switzerland under certain conditions. In particular, they may not be used for inland transport (cabotage) or by a company based in Switzerland. Further information can be found under vehicles.

If you have any questions about road traffic licensing (registration), it is best to contact the cantonal vehicle licensing office. Information can also be obtained from the Federal Roads Office (FEDRO).

Information on transport legislation (e.g. transport licences, scheduled traffic, concessions, etc.) can be obtained from the Federal Office of Transport (FOT).


Vehicle drivers

As the driver of a vehicle, you have certain obligations when crossing the border with merchandise. You can find information on this under Vehicle drivers.



Information office for customs regulations

+41 58 467 15 15

Contact form

Print contact